Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bo's Knows Ice Cream!

For my family, Bo's Ice Cream is an establishment frequented much too often. My mom would take my brother and I here for ice cream after gymnastics at Seminole Heights Recreation Center. As I grew up, and life moved me all around the city, Bo's was always a constant. When we settled at our house here in Purity Springs Heights, we realized that Bo's was much too convenient. About 50 Upside Down Banana Splits and 20 Thick N Chunkies later, we are no worse for the wear. We just had to pick up cycling as a hobby to balance it all out.

Located on Florida Ave, just North of Sligh, Bo's has been serving up dairy delights since 1954. During those times, Florida Ave was Tampa's main thoroughfare. Interstate 275 had not yet been constructed. The Bosanko family has held onto their family business though all sorts of ups and downs. The more recent move to rehabilitate Seminole Heights has even brought Bo's a drive-thru. But going up to the window and waiting in the horde of people is part of the allure. Sitting outside beneath the big blue Bo's letter shade, watching all of the customers choose their ice cream confections, is enchanting. People from all walks of life are just beaming with excitement, anticipating that first cold bite of homemade ice cream. Everyone sits down at the same table, makes new friends, and remembers what it is like to be a child. Recalling the days when ice cream really was the most important thing in life. For some of us it still is.

There have been talks of an ice cream challenge for months. There is a tiny local girl (name withheld for humility) that can put away ice cream like no one I have ever seen. In a previous challenge my husband was put to shame and she ate like a champ all the way to victory. If you haven't been to Bo's, you may not know that they serve gigantic portions of ice creamy goodness. So, if you think you can eat the most ice cream and kick some soft serve bootie...send me a message. Game on!

Visit Bo's at 7101 N. Florida Ave Tampa, Florida See you there!

Read more about the history of Bo's at: The St. Pete Times

5 comments:

  1. Oh, man, so what's everybody's poison at Bo's?

    I'm a chocolate fiend, but at Bo's, I'm all about the vanilla. Vanilla cone/chocolate sprinkles is my jam, although the Root Beer Float has been calling out my name lately.

    Back when I lived on Suwanee Ave., I had a hot streak where it was all Upside Down Banana Splits all the time, but we don't talk about that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm a sucker for their root beer floats. Every. Single. Time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I just had a Bo's Coke float. I don't know where I got that idea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously craving root beer float right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have loved and have been enjoying soft served cones since 1981.

    Yes, I was new born, but, I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.

    ReplyDelete